What my life has been like lately

posted in: Bleh, Blogger | 0

Ok this is going to be a whinefest…just warning you. I think I deserve to whine a bit after the last 2 weeks I’ve had.

Starting at or around Valentine’s Day Maeve got sick. Sore throat, lots of crying about how her throat hurts (she always gets a sore throat when she gets sick, and she has NO tolerance for pain whatsoever. Its a joy to listen to alllll day long, lemme tell you.) Midweek Tyr also caught the same bug, presumably. Both coughing, snotty and unhappy. Adam started feeling it by the end of the week (another that has NO tolerance for discomfort, so he was not a happy camper either) and by Friday my throat was starting to be sore and by Saturday my body starting to ache.

Saturday Feb 19 we had a trip to SCICON to see the salamander migration. An annual tradition. 5 families planning on caravan-ing with us and enjoying the adventure so there was no way I was going to consider post-posting. So the Smith family trekked around the trails with 4 other families (1 couldn’t make it last minute), and halfway through Maeve couldn’t hike any further and Adam stayed with her at a pretty spot while I took the rest of the families. After we got back to the center of campus from that trail, both kids were exhausted (the bug was making hiking difficult for them), so Adam took our 2 kiddos back to the car in the parking lot while I took the remaining 2 families who still wanted to hike some more out another trail to find more elusive amphibians. (Disappointing trip as there were not nearly the number of the little buggers as last year). Upon returning my trail group to the parking lot, I felt like my body needed to crash for a week. The aches and tiredness had made it to my bones.

The drive back to Fresno (about 2 hours) I don’t know that I moved much. I slept a lot and just couldn’t move.

Sunday we all were drop-dead sick. Adam took off the first couple days of the next week as all of us were coughing up a lung and blowing noses like trumpets all over the place. Body aches and pains and general all-over weakness and exhaustion were the norm for everyone.

Maeve recovered first…early the week of Feb 21. Then she was not so fun to be around because she was whining how bored she was. Tyr appeared to be mostly better so I let the 2 of them go on Monday with my parents so that Adam and I could just sleep. The next day Tyr was worse. And he’s not better yet…nearly 2 weeks later.

Maeve continued to be well though and spent most of that week of the 21st with my parents. Adam went to work for a couple days but was back home resting on Friday and the entire weekend just laying about, coughing and blowing nose.

Me, I was pretty sick last week, since I was the last to fall…Hating life, coughing up a lung, blowing my nose like crazy, tired and achy all over, dosing with nyquil and dayquil to be functional to care for Tyr, who was the only one of all of us to get a fever.

Tyr, on the other hand, manifested this virus differently…Vomiting and fever and developing a head to toe rash. He has been just miserable. Somewhere in the midst of all this he has developed a severe aversion to taking medicine. Made getting him to take something to help, darn near impossible. Crying, thrashing, demanding that he have me right there next to him at all times laying with him (with his head on my arm at all times). His fever went from 99 to 102 for days on end. Finally took him to Dr K on Friday Feb 25 since the rash was the last straw. Now not only was he coughing, snorting and lethargic and feverish but he was constantly scratching. Dr K said its not a bad cold or even the flu…but he thinks its a different virus. All 4 of us in that tiny exam room waiting for him, alternating coughing, was a real fun trip, lemme tell ya.

Now here I am on the tail end of it and I’m finally not coughing so much and my nose is tolerable…but I’m still tired all the time, and just feeling weak. I’ve been out on errands here and there and feel fine about that, but I just can’t get my body to bounce back entirely. Probably the lack of sleep for over a week is contributing. Tyr wakes me up constantly still. He’s still spiking a fever the 2nd half of the day, though he’s had 3 days now of waking with no fever. First half of the past 3 days he seems to be finally on the mend then halfway through the day he crashes and wants to lay down with me and not do anything. Wants to go to sleep early too. And not eating much.

With the exception of Maeven, who’s only got the lingering cough now, we all seem to keep going back and forth with this thing. We feel better then worse again. We are not even doing anything, just laying around for days on end and still we can’t get our energy back. Its very frustrating! I want all of us to be fully WELL again!

And today I’m just pissy. I’m sick of the state of our house (which, I’ve been slowly working on as I am feeling better, but can only do short bursts of work), and of forcing my kids to sit around and not go anywhere or do anything for days on end. Sick of the inside of this house. Sick of everything. Sick of trying to scrape together meals for sick people who are even pickier eaters lately with food that is practically nonexistent and we don’t even have the money to go out and buy what we need because as usual we are broker as hell. (Payday is tomorrow, but that’s going to be all used up practically on our mortgage payment. Not sure how much food we’ll be able to get. I need to get some more advertisers to buy us some food!)

Anyway, I’m just sick and tired of being sick and tired. Now Tyr is demanding that I feed him more food…not sure what else I can find for him…but I should go. *sigh*

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *